June 26, 2012

Upcycling: Tablecloth To Unisex Apron

A couple of months ago during a visit to our community's Freecycle Center, I took home a slightly used round tablecloth. Although I did not have anything in mind to make out of it at that time, I kept it because I liked the stripes pattern. It has since been sitting in my "to be upcycled" basket until yesterday.

I do most of the cooking in my household and one of the problems I have, that I should have given attention a long time ago, is I most of the time end up with a stained shirt after cooking. And those oil sprinkles when you fry something? Ugh! It ruins the shirt for real! So, the past weekend I browsed the internet for a tutorial on how to make an apron. I thought it would be an easy peasy task but as it turned out there are hundreds of tutorials out there. To solve this, I came up with two criteria in choosing the best tutorial. First, it has to be relatively easy. Second, the tutorial must be about an apron that my husband and I can both use, unisex as they call it.

After a whole day (or maybe half), I came accross this apron tutorial from Purl Bee. The instructions were very detailed and so easy to follow along. I must have spent about an hour or two sewing my apron. See the pictures below.

This tablecloth is roughly 60 inches in diameter. I don't know what
kind of fabric this is made of but it almost has a waterproof feel to it.

I pinned all around to make sure the stripes are aligned.

And here's the hubby wearing our unisex apron.
Thank you Hon!

By the way, I still have left over fabric and will make a bag out of it. Today is laundry day so I'll probably work on it tomorrow.

Have a great Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog. I love reading comments. Feel free to drop a line or two. If you are a blogger, leave a link to your blog so I can check it out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...