October 30, 2012

Leaving The Army

I can no longer remember when exactly Jeff and I have decided to leave the military.

We have had discussions about this important issue numerous times. Earlier this year he was very closed to re-enlisting for another three years. We weighed the pros and cons and ended up with more cons on the list.

Fast forward to last night. Here is my soldier answering some worksheets as part of the class he is attending on the transition process from military to civilian life.


I feel sad whenever I think of the day when we have to leave. The Army, not so much. Germany, yes.

This country has been our home for over four years. Our daughters were both born here. We were able to travel to some countries - France, Poland, Czech Republic, Spain, Italy and Austria - that we would never have the chance to go to had it not been for the Army. There are so many things I will miss here in Germany. Yes, including the good friends we would have to leave behind.

But for whatever it's worth, I am very happy of our decision to leave. Although we only had one year long deployment, I cannot imagine going through another one. Especially now that we have two kids. Don't get me wrong. I can handle taking care of the girls by myself. It is the emotional and mental stress of knowing that my soldier is in constant danger that will eat me up.

I guess I'm just not tough enough. Or come to think of it. Maybe Jeff and I believe there is more to life than staying in the military.

We all have choices. Jeff and I have chosen ours.

10 comments:

  1. I completely understand! We lose our Tricare benefits and pay at the end of December! It's scary, but fulfilling knowing that there is more to our lives than the Army ... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chelsea! I'm so looking forward to the future.

      Delete
  2. Good luck with this huge transition! PS I put your button on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Camille, thanks a lot! I grabbed your button as well.

      Delete
  3. Good luck! That's a big decision! I'm your newest follower and I'm excited to read more of your adventures. :-)

    http://missjoandco.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a BIG decision. Thanks Stefani.I just followed you back.

      Delete
  4. Joy, I know how you feel. As a mother, I'm so happy. For whatever your decision, I am behind you. Me and your dad are at your side. Please don't hesitate to ask us if you need help. As long as we live, we are one family, helping each other. I'm so thankful to the Lord and continue asking His help, guide and protect us always. All the times when Jeff was out there, I've been crying asking the Lord to protect him. Now that you are coming home, we are all excited waiting for your arrival, in God's helping hand. Love you all and God Bless you. MOM Emmie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being there for us always. See you very soon!

      Delete
  5. GOOD LUCK ON YOUR NEXT JOURNEY!!! I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOUR DECISION, AND THANKS GOD, YOU ARE ALL FINE AND SAFE!!! WE CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU ALL!! WE LOVE YOU, MOM EMMIE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can't wait to introduce Ryne to all of you there too.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I love reading comments. Feel free to drop a line or two. If you are a blogger, leave a link to your blog so I can check it out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...