November 27, 2012

Is my baby getting enough milk?

When I was still pregnant with my second child, I made a promise to exclusively breastfeed for at least 12 months.

Why not? First of all, breast milk is best for babies according to baby health experts. Second, I am not working. Third, formula is very expensive.

So... I have been exclusively breastfeeding my 4-month old baby. However, I have been worried (seriously worried) whether my baby is getting enough milk. I used to be able to pump at least 200ml of milk every day. Abundant supply, do you agree? Lately though, I have not been able to pump. Not because I don't want to. There's just no milk to pump out at all.

Last night I found a product online called Organic Mother's Milk. The tea, which is sold on Amazon as well, has good reviews.


I was very close to hitting the Add to Cart button but turned down the idea. I'm still tempted to do so right now. Has any of you tried this product? Please let me know if it helped in your breast milk production in any way.

On the Tea Land website, which also sells this product, you will read the marketing line below.

Organic Mother’s Milk® promotes healthy lactation*
and is traditionally used to increase breast milk production.*

When you see ads with asterisks, always check what they stand for. In this case, the asterisk means:

These statements have not been evaluated
by the Food and Drug Administration.
This product is not intended to diagnose,
treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Now, I'm going to hold off on the idea of using supplements to help boost my milk production.

According to La Leche League International, "The breasts work on the law of supply and demand. The more baby "tells" mother's breasts to make milk, the more milk she will have."

I shouldn't worry about my milk production then. I just have to encourage my 4-month old, who happens to be a sleepy head, to feed as often as possible especially during the day.

Are you a breastfeeding mommy like myself? I'd like to hear your experience!

3 comments:

  1. Joy, through to my experience with my 3 children wherein I breast fed them for a long time, the more they suck, the more milk came out. But i have to eat a lot with soup;

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, your baby is getting enough milk! Im pretty sure she won't starve herself if she doesn't. I guess you just need to hydrate some more. I never breastfed my babies for some reason. But I was really wanting to. You and Ryne are just fine....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I love reading comments. Feel free to drop a line or two. If you are a blogger, leave a link to your blog so I can check it out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...