November 9, 2012

Review: Asian Princess Costume by Rubie's Costume Co.

My daughter will be in a (ballet and acrobatics) recital next month. It's going to be her first recital and I'm very excited about it.

One of the two costumes she will be wearing is the one shown below.


I bought a size Small (fits 4-6 year olds) from Amazon for $23. The dress was $18.12 plus $4.88 shipping and handling. This dress is also available from other online stores. I've been wanting to write a review on this product the very day I got this in the mail but there were more pressing things I attended to.

This is how the dress fit and look on my daughter. She's so happy she got to put it on before bedtime!


How can she possibly do her ballet moves with this on?! Here's my 2 cents on this piece.

PROS: Beautiful print and colors.

CONS: Poor material. Bad design. Terrible fit.

I sew dresses for my daughter. Although I'm not an expert seamstress, I know the difference between good and bad sewing. I don't design clothes either but this dress is designed so badly. I ended up doing a lot of alterations.

First, I took the bodice and the skirt apart as well as the flare portion at the end of the sleeves. The belt, which was sewn on the dress at 3 areas, had to be removed as well. Thanks to my every reliable seam ripper!

Then I cut the skirt short, about 11 inches, and attached it back to the bodice. I made it in a way that the elastic is threaded in between the fabric. I also lift slits on the sides of the skirt (the idea of Skye's ballet instructor) for ease in movement.

Finally, I topstiched where it was necessary.

After 4 hours of seam ripping, cutting, serging, sewing, with a few breaks for feeding my hungry baby, the alteration was done. I took this photo very early in the morning. Can you tell she's still very sleepy?


I thought the ruching on the belt looked odd so I ripped the ruching off and sewed the long ends together and flattened it. I also cut the ends so that it's just the right size for Skye's waist (22 inches) and didn't sew it back to the dress.

Below is the final look.


I even made a cute underwear out of the excess fabric from the skirt.


Another thing, VELCRO and SATIN do not and should not be used together in a clothing piece! If you wonder why, check it for yourself.

Finally, my rating for this dress is 1 out of 5 stars. That single star is for the pretty prints. That's about it. I hope this review helps.

Did you alter a piece of clothing lately? How was the experience?

6 comments:

  1. This is took cute. I love how it came out and she looked adorable in it.
    Jillian
    http://puzzlemecomplete.blogspot.com/2012/11/anticipating-grenada.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a true Renaissance momma. This is adorable and your little girl looks so proud wearing her mommy's creation. Thank you for sharing and for linking up to the Empowered Living hop, hope to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a shame you had to do all that work.. but it turned out adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I love reading comments. Feel free to drop a line or two. If you are a blogger, leave a link to your blog so I can check it out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...