December 21, 2012

Layered Dress with Exposed Zipper

The last dress I made for Skye was almost a month ago. She wore it to our family photo shoot. I have been itching since then to make another dress for her but I got busy with her dance recital and my school work. The good news is I was finally able to get back to sewing.

Zippers are something that I have long wanted to incorporate in my sewing projects for some time now. I have overcome apprehension on sewing buttons but not zippers. So yesterday I courageously tackled this fear.

For yesterday's sewing project, I used a large size maternity top that I bought from the PX during last month's black Friday clearance and ...


... a Pierre Cardin longsleeves that I got from the Freecycle center months ago. FREE!


I usually play the guesstimate game as far as getting my daughter's size especially when she's not around; as was the case yesterday because she was in school. Yesterday though I used the 3T bodice and sleeves pattern I made last month.

I wanted to be a little creative with my design and this is what I came up with.


I used the sleeves of the Pierre Cardin polo for the bodice. The sleeves were big enough so I  doubled the bodice both front and back.


There goes my exposed zipper! It wasn't perfectly done but I was pleased with the outcome. Below is a (blurry) close-up view.


I mistakenly attached the sleeves on the wrong side exposing the part where the front and back bodice were sewn together. Undoing the whole thing would have taken a lot of seam ripping so I covered the exposed seam instead.


Finally, I sewed on my label.


Skye was so happy when she tried the dress on yesterday. I forgot to take pictures but below are a couple of the ones I took when she got home from school.


I can't wait to sew another one! Yes, another dress with zipper!

4 comments:

  1. Hi your so talented! i love the idea of making dresses esp for your kids, i think it is cute and with a touch of love :) I'm your new follower by the way.

    hugs,
    Leah
    http://www.travelquest-ny.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Leah, thank you! I do put a whole lot of love in every single dress I make for my daughters (smile). It's very rewarding!

      Delete
  2. I wish I could sew and be creative when it pertains to clothes. Well done. Very cute dress. Thank you for sharing and linking up to the Empowered Living hop. I hope to see you back in the new year. Happy Holidays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Empowered Momma! Will definitely join your blog hop again. Happy holidays to you and your family as well!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I love reading comments. Feel free to drop a line or two. If you are a blogger, leave a link to your blog so I can check it out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...