The last dress I made for Skye was almost a month ago. She wore it to our family photo shoot. I have been itching since then to make another dress for her but I got busy with her dance recital and my school work. The good news is I was finally able to get back to sewing.
Zippers are something that I have long wanted to incorporate in my sewing projects for some time now. I have overcome apprehension on sewing buttons but not zippers. So yesterday I courageously tackled this fear.
For yesterday's sewing project, I used a large size maternity top that I bought from the PX during last month's black Friday clearance and ...
... a Pierre Cardin longsleeves that I got from the Freecycle center months ago. FREE!
I usually play the guesstimate game as far as getting my daughter's size especially when she's not around; as was the case yesterday because she was in school. Yesterday though I used the 3T bodice and sleeves pattern I made last month.
I wanted to be a little creative with my design and this is what I came up with.
I used the sleeves of the Pierre Cardin polo for the bodice. The sleeves were big enough so I doubled the bodice both front and back.
There goes my exposed zipper! It wasn't perfectly done but I was pleased with the outcome. Below is a (blurry) close-up view.
I mistakenly attached the sleeves on the wrong side exposing the part where the front and back bodice were sewn together. Undoing the whole thing would have taken a lot of seam ripping so I covered the exposed seam instead.
Finally, I sewed on my label.
Skye was so happy when she tried the dress on yesterday. I forgot to take pictures but below are a couple of the ones I took when she got home from school.
I can't wait to sew another one! Yes, another dress with zipper!